https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlYv-bYaNpI

A mechanical mod exploded and nearly killed a man a couple days ago in Michigan. According to the guy who was injured:

“I pushed it and it just exploded – a big boom louder than a shotgun going off”

It exploded in his hands, burning his arm, putting shrapnel in his hand, and burning his abdomen. It also launched out of his hands and put holes in his walls.

Apparently he was using a “Pharoah” mod, which is not a brand that I’m familiar with but it’s made by a Chinese company, meaning that there won’t be anyone for this guy to sue. I can’t tell if this is a clone or authentic, but maybe someone can let me know in the comments. He was also using a Sense Herakles sub-ohm tank.

Needless to say, this guy wasn’t too educated about vaping and Ohm’s Law, evidenced by the fact that he called the mod a “vapor cigarette”.

If you’re reading this blog, you’re most likely extremely knowledgeable about vaping and would never in a million years sub-ohm on a mech mod without taking proper safety precautions. BUT, we have to realize that there is nothing stopping uneducated people from buying these devices, especially when they find out that they can “blow sikk cloudz” with them.

Unfortunately, it seems like this event has attracted the attention of congresswoman Debbie Dingell, who released a statement:

“This is unacceptable. Consumers have a right to know the products they buy are safe and not ticking time bombs that could explode dangerously at any point. We are exploring both regulatory and legislative solutions to this problem to ensure Sgt. Diekman and other consumers have the protections they deserve. I encourage anyone who has experienced an adverse event while using an e-cigarette to submit the problem to the FDA’s Safety Reporting Portal. The FDA will use this information to help protect consumers from defective products and ensure proper oversight to protect public health.”

Unfortunately we live in nerf ball society where the thought of educating yourself is completely unheard of. Based on everything we’ve seen from these mechanical mod explosions, user error is the root cause of literally 100% of these incidents. You can’t fucking sub-ohm with a mechanical mod if you’re a dumbass. Period.

However, manufacturers need to start including a safety warning on these devices, and need to make sure that people are aware that they shouldn’t vape with a mech mod if they’re an idiot. It also needs to be made clear that sub-ohming with a mechanical is EXTREMELY dangerous if you’re a retard. (Maybe not in those exact words.)  This isn’t the first time that this has happened, and it certainly won’t be the last, so manufacturers need to start protecting themselves from lawsuits.

If you’re new to vaping, make sure that you either educate yourself BEFORE you use a mechanical mod or just stick to using electronic mods instead.