What is a squonk mod and what is squonking?
A squonk mod is a bottom-fed device that is designed to give you an all-in-one vaping experience. Rather than pouring your e-liquid into a tank or RDA on the top of your mod (the traditional way), squonk mods are designed to hold the e-liquid in a special squonk bottle that is located within the device.
The squonk bottle is located in a compartment within the mod (usually located next to the battery). You’ll still need to put an RDA on top of the mod, but the e-liquid will flow up to the RDA through a special hollow 510 center pin. The compartment holding the squonk bottle and (usually external) battery is covered, with the exception of a small hole. This hole is designed to let you squeeze the squonk bottle (this is known as “squonking”) letting you control the amount of e-juice that you feed to your atomizer.
How do I know if a squonk mod is right for me?
Squonk mods are designed to be used on the go. With a traditional mod-and-tank setup, you’re forced to carry around your bottle of e-liquid everywhere you go (assuming you vape often enough to need a refill). Since the bottle of e-juice is built in to a squonk mod, you don’t have to worry about carrying around a leaky bottle of juice. Just fill your squonk tank with your favorite brand of e-juice, install it in your squonk mod, and go about your day. As soon as your atomizer is feeling a bit dry, just start squonking (squeezing) your bottle of juice using the convenient opening and you’ll be vaping again in no time.
If you’re looking for an all-in-one style kit that minimizes the amount of BS that you have to carry around, is small enough to fit in your pocket, and discreet enough to not draw attention when vaping in public, a squonk mod is the perfect choice for you.
What is the best squ0nk mod for sale in 2018?
- Vandy Vape Pulse BF 80W
- Wotofo Recurve 80W
- Ohm Boy OC X Desire Rage 155W
- HCigar Aurora 80W
- Aspire Feedlink Revvo
If you’re a newbie to the squonking world, we recommend that you go with the Vandy Vape Pulse BF 80W. It’s just an all-around great mod that isn’t lacking in any of the most important features that all serious vapers are looking for. It’s easy to use and will give you a great introduction to squonking so you can find out if it’s the style of vaping that meets your own unique needs.
Of course, you can’t go wrong with any of the other squonk mods on our list. The Aspire Feedback Revvo kit is extremely popular amongst both experienced vapers and beginners due to it’s ease of use and stunning good looks. Once you get a feel for squonking you’ll start to know which features are most important for you and you’ll be able to decide accordingly for future purchases.
The most important thing is to not overthink it and just dive in. Squonking really isn’t complicated, especially if you have previous vaping experience. In fact, most people think it’s even less complicated than vaping the old-school way with a mod and a top-fill tank.
What are the benefits of using a squonk mod system?
- Convenience. Squonk mods are all-in-one devices. Since your e-juice is essentially built-in to the mod, you don’t have to worry about lugging around extra bottles of juice. As soon as your RDA seems like it’s getting dry, just start squonking away and you’ll be ready to vape instantly. No more dripping. No more awkwardly filling up a tank that is just going to start leaking anyway.
- Large bottle size. Most squonk bottles are coming in at the 7-8ml range. That’s a ton of e-juice to have hooked up to your mod ready to go. You’d have to be a seriously hardcore vaper to burn through that much e-liquid in a typical day.
- Less leakage. Vape tanks tend to leak. A lot. RDA’s also can leak if you overflow them with juice. Luckily, squonk mods greatly reduce (but not eliminate) the risk of leakage. If you squonk your bottle too much, most of the time the juice will flow back into the bottle instead of spilling out of the top of your atomizer.
- No more constant dripping. Dripping is an insanely popular method of vaping. It’s an awesome way to get the full flavor from your favorite e-liquids, but let’s be honest: It can be a pain in the ass. There’s something awesome about being able to just squeeze a bottle that is built in to your mod instead of going through the hassle of dripping, especially when you’re out in public.
What are the disadvantages that come with the use of a squonk mod?
- You’ll burn through more e-juice. Granted, there is nothing about the technical features of a squonk mod that will cause you to run out of e-liquid faster. But the fact that squonking is just so damn convenient (there really is something addicting about pressing down on that bottle) means that a lot of vapers end up vaping more than they would when vaping the traditional way. This disadvantage is more self-inflicted, so it depends on your squonking habits!
- You’re going to run out of battery life faster. Since the comparment on a squonk mod has to fit both the squonk bottle *and* a battery, this means that space is at a premium. Most squonk mods only have room for one, usually 18650-sized, external battery. This is starting to change in 2018 now that manufacturers are finding ways to squeeze dual-18650 batteries or single-20700 batteries into their devices. But if you’re still using a single-18650 setup, make sure you bring spare batteries or a charger because you’re going to run out of battery life much quicker than with a modern standard box mod.
- Most squonk mods are unregulated. This is another downside that is slightly out of date, since a lot of companies are releasing regulated squonkers these days. But the fact is that most squonk mods out there are still unregulated. This isn’t a downside unless you have a strong preference for regulated mods or if you’re a brand new vaper. Unregulated mods are more difficult to use and have historically presented safety risks. The safety risks are mostly mitigated in squonk mods, however, because they also generally include a chipset with advanced safety features. This reduces, if not completely eliminates, the possibility of overheating and all the bad things that come along when that happens. So most squonk mods are not exactly comparable to mechanical mods since mechs generally have zero safety features.
- There can be some juice overflow if you “oversquonk”. I’m pretty sure I just coined the word “oversquonking”. As I previously mentioned, squonking can be addictive. I often find myself mindlessly squeezing my squonk bottle when lost in thought or just plain bored. The problem with that habit, if you do something similar, is that it can lead to your RDA overflowing because it can’t absorb the excess juice. The solution to this is simple. Quit squeezing that damn bottle when you know you don’t need any more juice in your RDA!
Can I use a regular tank on a squonk mod?
Unfortunately, no you can’t use a regular vape tank on a squonk mod. You’ll need to use an RDA that is designed for bottom-feeding, since regular tanks and RDA’s are designed to be top-fed. There are no regular tanks or atomizers that are compatible with squonking.
If you want the best of both worlds, we’d recommend that you buy a normal regulated mod to use with your tank and a squonk mod to use with your bottom-feeding RDA. That way you’ll be ready to go no matter which way you feel like vaping today.